Weirdness, part one

Completely off topic, but...

(and no, I am NOT done my Christmas decorating. What's your point?)


I am not afraid of heights. I love roller coasters. I can drive over tall bridges in a single bound. But pictures like this* give me the willies.

Most people don't encounter such pictures too often, but that was one of the hazards of working in plant pathology for 15 years. You see, plant pathologists take a lot of picture of plants, dead, alive or somewhere in between. Plants in the field, on lab benches, in the greenhouse. And for the most part, they attempt to stand over the plants, and shoot straight down. But very seldom is it dead-on straight down - it's often slightly angled. And most people cannot tell which way is "up" in such shots when they are presenting the slides (at meetings, conferences, publications, etc.).

But I can tell. Every time. And to the vast amusement of some of my colleagues (you know who you are!!). Who delighted in showing me such pictures - and watching me turn green.

Fun times.

So yeah. This is one of my many completely useless life skills. Being able to tell which way is up. Think it will make me rich?

_________________________________________________

* That picture is from this blog:

http://youngestround.blogspot.com/

A 16 year old Australian woman sailing solo around the world. Even if you don't think that's an appropriate adventure for one so young, the blog makes for great reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly! I love it... I was just thinking of your weirdness the other day... now tell me what is wrong with my pretty sclerotinia photo???http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=2c70ef7e-8bb4-44f2-abb4-549274c860d6
    Nobody else in my office understands why this upsets me so much! I feel your pain (whoever in Communications did this to my photo... why I oughtta)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Faye!

    It's UPSIDE DOWN!!! Great nails though :)

    (and yes, we are some of the few who can type "pretty sclerotinia picture" and not find that a bit odd!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...