I have a serious hate on...


Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know.  They save electricity.  They are green.  Any person who cares anything about the environment has them, right?

Whatever.

I hate that they take forever to warm up and get to full brightness.

I hate that the colour choices are jaundice-yellow or operating-room-glare-white.  (Yeah, I've also heard that the colour has gotten better.  Unfortunately, hearing isn't the same as seeing).

I hate that they have mercury.  That it's apparently okay because it's such a small amount - but "small amount" x millions = "not so small amount".  And that "small amount" in my household doesn't take account the amounts required in the manufacturing process.  I'm sure the people who make them are exposed to much larger amounts.  Because....

I hate that they are made in China.  You know, that country that takes environmental and worker safety seriously.  The country that was so appalled at the whole melamine in wheat flour thing, which led to way too many pet deaths in North America, that it didn't go right out and put the same damn stuff in their own baby food.  Oh wait, it did just that.

I really do hate that most "green" choices, like all too many other choices, aren't simple.  I just, after over a year of living here, went out and bought 6 CFL bulbs, to replace some incandescent bulbs in hard-to-reach fixtures that had burnt out.  I know that LEDs are the next "in thing", but the cost alone at this point is prohibitive, and I'm sure there is some reason why they too aren't an "easy" green choice.

I swear, I'm going back to whale oil lamps :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. None of this is simple, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't simple. And unfortunately, the facts we need to make informed choices are often hard to find :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, thanks for linking to my blog!

    I'm looking forward to LED's coming down in cost too. They sound like they are going to be a lot better. I am not fond of CFL's, but I use them in my basement and in lights that aren't easy to access. Incandescents are still my bulb of choice in the main living areas of my house. I'm stocking up so I don't run out when the ban starts. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, you're welcome, and thanks for commenting!

    I love your blog, your sense of style (so much better than mine), and your flower pics!

    The renos here are starting in a major way in a day or two, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...