A is for...

... atheist.



Yep, you heard me.  This is the first time I've publicly proclaimed it, but I figured this was a good time to get it out in the open :)

I'm not stating this to be offensive to anyone, or to open up a debate about religion, morality, etc., but it is a fairly important fact about me, and goes hand-in-hand with a lot of other of my traits, good and bad.

I figure each person's religion, or lack there of, is a private issue and it doesn't matter to me what you believe - I'm more concerned with how someone behaves, rather than where they happen to be on a Sunday morning (or Friday, or Saturday, as the case may be).  I've known some incredible religious people, and some atheist asses.

But I do get concerned when I see public policy being based on a religion, rather than on something like scientific fact or democratic consensus.  I get concerned when I see public officials deciding to rely on a "Day of Prayer", rather than facing the source of the issue and taking concrete action.  I really get concerned when I see the education system being subverted by small religious factions, especially when education is, IMO, one of the keystones of our society.

Now, this blog isn't going to suddenly turn into an Atheist's Screed - if you are interested, there are some INCREDIBLE atheist blogs out there, and even more blogs written by atheists that aren't strictly about atheism.  And if I ever get around to finishing the changes to this blog, I might list a few of my favourites :)

So, what's your A?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...