N is for...

... nature.

Growing up, we were lucky to live almost at the edge of town, with a very large field across the street.  And a second very large pond in a field behind our house.  Both fields had ponds (great for skating in the winter!), and trails and trees and a thousand other interesting things.  And I was lucky enough to grow up in a time and place where it was okay to wander off by myself for hours to explore these interesting things.

And play with crayfish and frogs.

And bring home the skeletons of long-dead animals.

And snakes.  Live snakes.

Poor Mom :)

So I'm not sure if it was the influence of my childhood, or something inherent, but there is nothing better than walking through woods, or a field, or the lake shore, or along a river, watching and listening, and seeing what all lives around me. 

I think this is one of the main reasons I dislike large cities - too many human neighbours, not enough non-human ones!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...