On the Fifth Day of Christmas...

... I finally got finished cabinets!

But no pictures, sorry! The room was full of drop cloths and trim and paint :)

I do, however, have pictures of some of the details...

These pictures show the difference in size of the two crown mouldings. The one that is over the cabinets which are under the bulkhead (clear as mud?) have a smaller moulding, while those that aren't under the bulkhead have a larger moulding, but both have the same profile. Using two sizes meant the cabinets under the bulkhead could be as large as possible. If you look closely, you can see an "extra" piece at the very top of the moulding - that caps it off, making a space I can use for display if I want to. Otherwise, there would have just been an open space leading under the cabinets - what a pain to clean!


Another trim piece: the under-cabinet valence. It's there to hide under-cabinet lighting  - which I don't have. It still looks good, and finishes the cabinets off nicely. And I might get one of those battery operated stick-on lights, to highlight...

 ... the raised display area behind the sink. 

I find corners wasted space in kitchens - maybe just because I'm too short to easily reach them? ;) So, when the kitchen designer mentioned having a corner sink, I realized that would "solve" that problem, as well as giving me a fabulous run of counter top under the window. Once that decision was made, it was easy enough to decide to put in the raised display area - especially since it was no extra charge!

I also decided to go with a glass door for the angled cabinet over the sink. Again, it's a cabinet I find hard to access - even worse with the sink there! So, it will be used to store those pretty things I don't use very often - and it makes a nice place to hang a Christmas wreath!


Pretty, pretty details - but what about the functionality of the kitchen? Did I mention my "baking station"? Maybe tomorrow...

______________________________________________
Leading up to Christmas, I plan on posting about my new kitchen. This is (obviously) not happening in real time - renos are MUCH slower than that! And yes, I do know the 12 Days of Christmas actually start on December 25. Deal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...